League of Legends has announced its Season Two World ChampionshipRiot Games has announced the biggest League of LegendsWorld Championship to the date,
The Season 2 Wolrd Championship will conclude the next October 13, in Los Angeles.
The prize pool for the World Championship and Regional Finals is the biggest in eSports history, $3,000,000, and the most lucrative piece of the unprecedented $5,000,000 total prize pool for the entirety of Season 2.
The next phase of the World Championship will be a series of regional championships to determine the twelve teams which will compete in the World Championship.
- North America: August 31 - Seattle, United States at PAX Prime - 3 teams
- Europe: August 16 - Cologne, Germany at Gamescom - 3 teams
- Mainland China: July 26 - Shanghai, China at China Joy - 2 teams
- Southeast Asia: September - Singapore at Garena Carnival - 1 team
- Korea: September 21 - Seoul, Korea at the OGN eSports Stadium - 2 teams
- Taiwan/Hong Kong/Macau: September 22 - Taipei, Taiwan at G1 - 1 team
I cant wait to see how many fans tune in online for the final matches of Season 2 were halfway through the season and weve already seen more than two million live viewers for a single circuit event, said Marc Merrill, co-founder and president of Riot Games. Just to put that in context, thats a bigger audience than a Major League Baseball game on ESPN its incredible to think about.
Weve already awarded more than $1,000,000 in prize money to the incredible competitors of League of Legends this season, said Brandon Beck, co-founder and CEO of Riot Games. Its been humbling to watch the level of competition and the enthusiasm of the live audiences its something you really have to see in person.